OUR COMMITMENT TO YOUR PRIVACY
Suzuki Canada Inc. (“Suzuki Canada”, “we” or “us”) is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Suzuki automobiles, motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, marine products and related parts and accessories.
TYPES OF PERSONAL INFORMATION THAT WE COLLECT
We may collect Personal Information from you or about you either directly or through authorized third parties in person, over the telephone, in written documents, on the Internet, or through surveys, contests, test drives or other promotions or incentive programs. The types of information that we collect include the following:
- Information to permit us to identify and contact you such as your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address and language preference.
- Demographic and marketing information about you such as your age, education, occupation, marital and family status, information on your preferences, interests, purchasing intentions and your experience with competitor products and services.
- Product ownership information such as VIN (product serial number) and license plate numbers, odometer readings, make, model, model year, equipment and accessory levels.
- Product warranty and servicing information such as vehicle recalls, warranty or service notifications, servicing dealer information, extended service plans and roadside assistance plans.
- Product performance and customer satisfaction information such as product surveys and your experience in purchasing, leasing or servicing our products.
- Financial and credit information which is collected by our Dealers, Customer Credit Providers, credit reporting agencies and shared with us.
MEANING OF “PERSONAL INFORMATION”
Personal Information in this policy means information about an identifiable individual as that term is defined in applicable Canadian federal, provincial or territorial privacy legislation in effect from time to time. As a general rule, Canadian privacy legislation does not consider personal information which is business-related information – such as the information which is shown on a person’s business card – to be Personal Information. Likewise, non-identifiable personal information – which means information about an individual where the personal identifiers have been removed, so that it is impossible to determine the identity of the person to whom the information relates – is not considered to be Personal Information.
We will collect your consent separately with respect to sending you any “commercial electronic messages” as defined in Canada’s anti-spam legislation, found at S.C. 2010, c.23, as amended (“CASL”). When you sign-up to receive our newsletters, promotional offers or similar types of communications, we will ask for your opt-in consent and will then confirm your request by email. We will not add your email to our mailing list until you affirmatively respond as requested in the confirmation email.
WITHDRAWING CONSENT (OPTING-OUT)
If you do not want to be contacted for product, service or marketing purposes, or if you want to be removed from our direct marketing programs, telemarketing, direct mail or e-mail lists, please contact our Privacy Office as indicated below. Except as required or permitted by applicable laws, you have the right at any time to withdraw your consent to our collection and use of your Personal Information. We will take steps following receipt of your written request to amend our records to reflect your request.
Please note, however, that in certain circumstances such as matters relating to law enforcement and public or personal health, safety, security or property, or for the purpose of collecting monies owed to us, applicable laws may require or allow us to collect, use or disclose your Personal Information without your consent. In such circumstances, we will only disclose your Personal Information to the extent that it is required.
HOW WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We collect your Personal Information in various ways:
From You : For example, when you purchase or lease one of our products, participate in a contest or survey, respond to an offer or program, test drive one of our products, when you contact us or when you use the interactive portions of our website.
From Our Authorized Suzuki Dealers : For example, when you purchase, lease, service or trade-in one of our products or when you purchase an extended service or roadside assistance plan from one of our Dealers.
From Our Contractors : We collect and use Personal Information, with your consent, from business organizations that we may contract with from time to time, for example, in connection with marketing and promotional activities, conducting customer surveys, etc.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We use your Personal Information to:
- Identify and communicate with you.
- Provide you with marketing, product, service and incentive offers and information from ourselves and our business partners such as our Dealers and Suzuki Canada Credit.
- Conduct market surveys, research and analysis.
- Manage our relationship with you including assisting in the administration or communication to you of information relating to your product purchase, lease, warranty, extended service plan, roadside assistance program, product recalls, service notifications, warranty servicing, and customer service and product satisfaction matters.
- Comply with safety, security, legal and regulatory requirements.
- Protect our reasonable and legitimate business interests.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We do not sell or rent your Personal Information for profit to any third party . We only disclose your Personal Information to fulfill the purposes that it was collected for or to satisfy legal requirements. Examples of this include the following:
- We may disclose your Personal Information to third parties in order to administer warranty coverages, extended service plans and roadside assistance programs for Suzuki products which you own or lease.
- We may disclose your Personal Information to credit reporting agencies or other credit providers where you apply for credit, where we need to obtain a credit report about you, or where we are requested to provide information with respect to your lease or loan contracts.
- We may disclose your Personal Information to collection agencies in order to collect any amounts which you may owe to us or to any Customer Credit Provider.
- We may provide your Personal Information to third party financial institutions in connection with the transfer of any lease, loan or other contract in which one of our Customer Credit providers may have an interest.
- We may provide your Personal Information to authorized third party contractors who perform functions on our behalf, such as conducting market research, performing product satisfaction surveys, dealer performance surveys, etc. We require all of our contractors who have access to your Personal Information to keep the information confidential and to restrict its use to those purposes for which we have engaged them.
- Our records of your Personal Information may be periodically updated by our third party contractors or by our own communications with you. This updated Personal Information may be shared by us with our Dealers in order to better serve you.
- As we continue to develop our business, we may at some future date become involved in a transaction in which one of our business units may be acquired or considered for acquisition by a third party. In such circumstances, your Personal Information would be transferred and/or could be the subject of due diligence investigations by the third party.
SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Your Personal Information is stored at secured locations either at our offices or at the offices of our authorized contractors. We retain your Personal Information for as long as we require it to fulfill the purpose that it was collected for.
To protect the confidentiality of your Personal Information, we employ administrative and technological safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of your Personal Information. For instance, we operate computer systems which are protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems. In addition, where Personal Information is provided to a third party for processing, we make sure, through our contracts with them, that your Personal Information is kept secure. Lastly, we take steps to ensure that your personal information is only accessible by personnel who have a legitimate business need to have access to it.
UPDATING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We make reasonable efforts to keep your Personal Information current and accurate. For example, we use contracted third parties to update our records from time to time. We also update our records based on information provided to us by our Dealers.
ACCESSING AND CORRECTING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You can access and correct your Personal Information by sending a written request to our Privacy Office at the address indicated below. At the time of your request, we may request you to provide specific information in order to permit us to verify your identity. In the event that any of your Personal Information is found to be incomplete or inaccurate, we will take reasonable steps to correct your Personal Information record.Please note that there may be instances where we may not be able to permit you to access or correct your Personal Information. Examples of this could include Personal Information which:
- contains references to another person(s),
- which would involve the disclosure of confidential information,
- could result in harm or loss to another person(s),
- could interfere with the activities of law enforcement agencies or statutory bodies,
- is not readily retrievable, or where the cost of retrieving it would be prohibitive or disproportionate to its value or usefulness,
- has already been destroyed due to legal requirements, or because its continued retention was unnecessary,
- is subject to solicitor-client or litigation privilege, or
- cannot be disclosed for legal reasons.
APPLICATION OF THIS POLICY
As well, Suzuki Canada Dealers and certain Customer Credit Providers of retail purchase and lease financing for our products are independently owned and operated business organizations who are licensed to use certain of our trade-marks. These organizations are not owned or controlled by Suzuki Canada and may have their own Personal Information privacy policies which may apply to your Personal Information. For further information, you should consult with the applicable Customer Credit Provider.
Ontario Tire Stewardship Legislation
As Suzuki Canada Inc. is the responsible producer of the tires we sell and import into Ontario, we have partnered with YESS to manage our product’s end-of-life management.
Via YESS’s network management, Suzuki Canada Inc. pays for the collection, transportation and management to responsibly recycle our tires into new rubber products. To help you help us to recycle your tires at the end-of-life, please click HERE to find a location nearest to you where you can drop off up to 10 tires (off the rims) at no charge.
As with any new program, you may have questions. We have done our best to anticipate your needs. Click HERE for FAQ’s.
For information on Suzuki Canada ‘s privacy practices, or if you have any questions, concerns or complaints, please write to us at:
Privacy Office Suzuki Canada Inc.
360 Saunders Road
Barrie, Ontario, CANADA L4N 9Y2
You may also reach us via email firstname.lastname@example.org.