EFFECTIVE DATE: February 11, 2020
OUR COMMITMENT TO YOUR PRIVACY
Suzuki Canada Inc. (“Suzuki Canada”, “we” or “us”) is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Suzuki automobiles, motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, marine products and related parts and accessories.
We are committed to maintaining the accuracy, security and privacy of Personal Information which is provided to us by our customers and other individuals and organizations with whom we do business.
Suzuki Canada Dealers and certain customer credit providers of retail purchase and lease financing for our products are independently owned and operated business organizations who are licensed to use certain of our trademarks. These organizations are not owned or controlled by Suzuki Canada and may have their own privacy policies that explain their data practices. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of those organizations, and any website you visit.
HOW WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We collect your personal information in the following ways:
From You: For the most part, we collect information directly from you. For example, when you purchase or lease one of our products, participate in a contest or survey, respond to an offer or program, test drive one of our products, when you contact us or when you use the interactive portions of our website.
From Our Authorized Suzuki Dealers: For example, when you purchase, lease, service or trade-in one of our products or when you purchase an extended service or roadside assistance plan from one of our Dealers.
TYPES OF PERSONAL INFORMATION THAT WE COLLECT
The types of information that we collect include the following:
- Basic identification information such as your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, language preference, driver’s licence, insurance data and your online account name and password.
- Demographic and interest information about you such as your age, education, occupation, marital and family status, purchasing intentions and your experience with competitor products and services.
- Product ownership information such as VIN (product serial number) and license plate numbers, odometer readings, make, model, model year, equipment and accessory levels.
- Product warranty and servicing information such as vehicle recalls, warranty or service notifications, servicing history, servicing dealer information, extended service plans and roadside assistance plans.
- Product performance and customer satisfaction information such as responses to product surveys and feedback from your experience in purchasing, leasing or servicing our products.
- Financial and credit information including banking details, credit history, [insert other data] which is collected by our Dealers, Customer Credit Providers, credit reporting agencies and shared with us.
- Communication and interaction information when you email, call, visit or otherwise interact with Suzuki, including the information you provide during those communications, such as comments, feedback and inquiries.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We use your information to:
- Identify and verify you, including to create and manage your online account, process your online requests and to communicate with you.
- Process and manage your online orders, keeping you up to date with purchases and deliveries.
- Provide our online services, including using your information to build a product tailored to your preferences, and allow us to prepare a cash or finance estimate.
- Provide you with marketing, product, service and incentive offers and information from ourselves and our business partners such as our Dealers and Suzuki Canada Credit.
- Conduct market surveys, research and analysis.
- Manage our relationship with you including assisting in the administration or communication to you of information relating to your product purchase, lease, warranty, extended service plan, roadside assistance program, product recalls, service notifications, warranty servicing, and customer service and product satisfaction matters.
- Help us generate statistics, aggregate data, measure our website activities, and personalize your online experience.
- Assist us in detecting and preventing security threats to our website and online products and services.
- Comply with safety, security, legal and regulatory requirements.
- Protect our reasonable and legitimate business interests.
- Allow us to respond to your requests, complaints, comments and question.
AUTOMACTIC DATA COLLECTION
This section tells you more about what technical information we may automatically collect when you visit and interact with our website and online features.
Targeted advertising: Targeted or interest-based advertising means programs that decide which ads you might like to see based on information from your online activities, such as the actions you take when you visit this website as well as on other websites. Suzuki may use certain information collected to understand your preferences for the purposes of targeted ads. Suzuki may participate in social media or network advertising programs that display advertising about Suzuki, our dealers, our related programs and services, as well as other unaffiliated advertisers. Go to “Your Choices” to learn how to opt-out.
TRANSFER / DISCLOSURE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We do not sell or rent your personal information for profit to any third party. In certain circumstances, we may transfer or disclosure information as further explained in this section.
Service providers: Like many companies, Suzuki uses third party service providers to help us in providing this website and services. These service providers provide support services such as data hosting, financial institutions assisting with leases or loans, customer call centre, web hosting and development, background checks, and marketing. We may transfer the necessary personal information to these third parties in order for them to provide the requested service. For example, we will transfer your home address to our shipping service provider to allow them to process and deliver the products you purchased online. We require our service providers keep the information secure.They are not permitted to use your personal information for any other purpose than to carry out the services they are providing to us.
Partners: We may share information with our affiliated and non-affiliated partners in order to provide a product or service you requested. For example, we may transfer certain information to partners in order to administer our warranty coverages, extended service plans and roadside assistance programs for Suzuki products, which you own or lease.
Credit reporting agencies: With your consent, we shall disclose your personal information to credit reporting agencies or other credit providers where you apply for credit, where we need to obtain a credit report about you, or where we are requested to provide information with respect to your lease or loan contracts.
Suzuki dealers: We may disclose relevant personal information to your preferred Suzuki dealer in order to provide the product or service that you requested. The information we disclose will depend on the request. For example, our build it feature allows you to:
Enforce our legal rights: We may disclose your personal information to collection agencies in order to collect any amounts which you may owe to us or to any customer credit provider, or another authorized agency, as may be required to enforce our legal rights.
Required by law: We may disclose your personal information with a government, regulatory or law enforcement agency if the disclosure is required or permitted by law, or if we have a good faith believe that there is an emergency that poses a threat to the safety of you or another persona, or as otherwise required by law.
Lastly, as we continue to develop our business, we may at some future date become involved in a transaction in which one of our business units may be acquired or considered for acquisition by a third party. In such circumstances, your personal information would be transferred and/or could be the subject of due diligence investigations by the third party.
SECURITY, STORAGE AND RETENTION OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
To protect the confidentiality of your personal information, we employ administrative and technological safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of your personal information. For instance, we operate computer systems which are protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems. In addition, where personal information is provided to a third-party for processing, we use contractual means to require the service provider to protect your personal information, and to only retain the information in accordance with our retention requirements In addition, we take steps to ensure that your personal information is only accessible by personnel who have a legitimate business need to have access to it.
Your personal information is stored at secured locations either at our offices or at the facilities of our authorized contractors in Canada. As part of our normal business operations, we may be required to transfer your information outside of Canada, including Japan. In addition, a third party service provider we utilize may be established outside of Canada. As a result, your information may be subject to the laws of that jurisdiction.
RETENTION OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We retain your personal information for as long as we require it to fulfill the purpose that it was collected, subject to any legal retention periods. The retention of your information will vary depending on the product or service being provided. For example, if we are providing an extended warranty for your product, we will retain your information for at minimum, as long as the life of the warranty. Our retention standards are developed to meet the needs of our customers, as well as any legal obligations.
We do not knowingly collect information from children. Our website, products and services are only intended for individuals of age in the jurisdiction in which they reside. If you believe we have inadvertently collected the information of a child, you may contact us at: [email@example.com].
You have certain choices with respect to your personal information.
Access, update and correct your information:
You can update some of your information by logging into your Suzuki account and editing your details.
Alternatively, you can access and correct your information in writing by contacting our Privacy Office at:
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Privacy Office Suzuki Canada Inc.
360 Saunders Road
Barrie, Ontario, CANADA L4N 9Y2
At the time of your request, we may request you to provide specific information in order to permit us to verify your identity. In the event that any of your personal information is found to be incomplete or inaccurate, we will take reasonable steps to correct your information.
Please note that there may be instances where we may not be able to permit you to access or correct your personal information. Examples of this could include Personal Information which:
- contains references to another person(s),
- which would involve the disclosure of confidential information,
- could result in harm or loss to another person(s),
- could interfere with the activities of law enforcement agencies or statutory bodies,
- is not readily retrievable, or where the cost of retrieving it would be prohibitive or disproportionate to its value or usefulness,
- has already been destroyed due to legal requirements, or because its continued retention was unnecessary,
- is subject to solicitor-client or litigation privilege, or
- cannot be disclosed for legal reasons.
Opt-out of e-mail marketing:
If you opted-in to receive emails, you may unsubscribe at ay time. To opt-out click “unsubscribe” at the bottom of a marketing email we send you. You may also email us at [insert] to request that we no longer send marketing emails to you from Suzuki. Please note that if you opt-out, we are still permitted to send you emails regarding our business relationship, or as otherwise allowed under law.
Turn off cookies & other technologies:
Most browsers are set up to accept cookies; however, the “help” feature on most browsers will explain how you can stop accepting cookies, and how to turn off existing cookies. Please note that some cookies are necessary to allow our website to function, and cannot be turned off.
Opt-out of targeted ads:
You can opt-out of network advertising programs that track your activities across multiple websites to deliver personalized advertising content to you. Please visit:
Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada Opt-Out Page: http://youradchoices.ca/understanding-online-advertising
Ad Choices Opt-Out Page: http://www.aboutads.info/choices/
For information on Suzuki Canada’s privacy practices, or if you have any questions, concerns or complaints, please write to us at:
Privacy Office Suzuki Canada Inc.
360 Saunders Road
Barrie, Ontario, CANADA L4N 9Y2
You may also reach us via email at: email@example.com